Mighty Mo

Last night I invented a new pleasure, and as I was giving it the first trial an angel and a devil came rushing toward my house. They met at my door and fought with each other over my newly created pleasure; the one crying, "It is a sin!" -- the other, "It is a virtue!" - The New Pleasure- Gibran Khalil Gibran

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Talkers & Listeners

In the numerous continuums that dot the universe, I find the talker-listener continuum one of the most interesting. I have seen all kinds of people occupying different positions on this continuum during a conversation. Obviously, if you want to have a conversation it is essential to move along this continuum constantly. But for a person like me who is mostly sprawled on the listener end of the continuum (I like to think it’s courtesy-you’d probably call it lethargy), it does get a bit tedious if you are with a motormouth.

Talkers most of the times love to hear themselves talk.They savour every word they say like it’s a manna from the heavens. And everybody knows you can’t get enough of a good thing, so they end up repeating themselves ad nauseum because they just don’t want to stop talking. If you are lucky or just plain fool hardy you will be able to insert a monosyllable during the course of the monologue. And if you do get a chance to say a complete sentence, you will see the talker so impatient that you think he needed a bio break. But all he actually wants is to grab that baton away from you.

Now imagine a conversation between two talkers. Both are talking continuously and they are obviously not listening to each other because they are too busy…talking! Now picture that these two people are married to each other. It’s easy for me to picture, infact I could even name them but I won’t. As a third person watching this couple ‘conversing’ is like watching two movies on adjacent screens.

Husband called S : I am planning to break down this wall, make the kitchen into a jacuzzi with a hometheatre system fitted in. I can now watch movies while I soak.

Wife also called S: I just got fired from my job because I hit on the boss and she didn’t like it. I had figured her for a dyke, I can’t believe I was so wrong..

Husband called (ya you guessed right!)S: I think I’ll fix the flat screen TVon the ceiling. I can actually float while watching “Jaws”. It will be even more effective than those 3D movies they have.

Okay, I confess this is not an actual conversation, but it could happen right? And while you are at it, are you a talker or a listener? Believe me listening is much more fun!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey but what about a couple who were both listeners? Would that work or would they just have nothing to say to each other?

Is it good to have a talker and a listener in a relationship?

would like your view

great blog by the way!

Thu Jun 03, 08:28:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home