Mighty Mo

Last night I invented a new pleasure, and as I was giving it the first trial an angel and a devil came rushing toward my house. They met at my door and fought with each other over my newly created pleasure; the one crying, "It is a sin!" -- the other, "It is a virtue!" - The New Pleasure- Gibran Khalil Gibran

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Those were the best days of my life!



To borrow from a hit Bryan Adams track, the Fergie days were undoubtedly the best days of my life. Four years in Fergusson College- Pune. Memories to last me a life time. I could not ask for a better time in college. This beautiful college has been witness to my many escapades. I remember those heady days when peons had to chase us in to the classrooms so the benches would be filled when the professor walked in. Getting thrown out of practical classes for not having enough attendance and shamelessly rejoicing because we could catch a movie. Spending most afternoons dancing away in a disco. They used to be called noon discs then.

Our ‘gang’ of five girls had only one objective for that day and everyday-Be entertained. Each of us had totally diverse backgrounds and temperaments but we seemed to have that extremely abused word- ‘wavelength’. That probably explains why we are friends even now after nearly a decade of graduating from college.

Sumi- a crazy Malaysian bong who jumped over hostel walls so she could party with us. A fancy executive at a leading financial consulting company now, I don’t think she has changed that much. She would jump over any wall if there was a chance to party.

Archie- a typical Goan with a chilled out attitude- always ready to have a good time. She introduced me to G’N’R. I always ended up borrowing her party clothes and used to loathe returning them. I remember her being embarrassed because she couldn’t remember how many cars her family owned, it was in the region of 6-10!

Maddy- a true blue ‘Puneri’ who still lives in the same colony where she grew up, she married her neighbour! I haven’t met a more whacked out person and believe me I am surrounded by whacky people. Her favorite expression was ‘bored ya!’ which invariably led to some crazy scheme.

Minal- The most sane person in the gang, she was the athlete who wanted to drag us lazy kids to a trek or some such thing. I always looked forward to the spread that her mom fed us with for Christmas every year. Last I knew she was in Dubai, like every other Mallu in the world!

Then there is ‘yours truly’ of course, I used to live every day like it was my last. Even now I want to seize every moment and live life to the fullest. But there is a big gap between wanting something and it actually happening. The resolution this year is to eliminate that gap.