Mighty Mo

Last night I invented a new pleasure, and as I was giving it the first trial an angel and a devil came rushing toward my house. They met at my door and fought with each other over my newly created pleasure; the one crying, "It is a sin!" -- the other, "It is a virtue!" - The New Pleasure- Gibran Khalil Gibran

Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Good Times- May they Never End


End of the year is always a time for reminiscing and nostalgia with me. The past two years (after a long time) have been the most memorable for all the right reasons. I began on a journey to explore the world not just by traveling but allowing new experiences and people to enter my mostly cloistered world. My job ensures that I interact with people from different countries on an everyday basis. I have slowly and surely learnt about their cultures and concerns. Universally, whether it is the French, Australians, Italians, Malaysians, Chinese, Americans or Indians, the everyday concern remains the same. Ensure a Better Tomorrow.

On a not so stodgy note, the collage above shows the good times I had in the past 2 years. Starting with the left, moving clockwise.

1. Newport- RI – USA
A playground for the seriously rich, this place is full of mansions like the Breakers. Reminded me of all those crappy historical romances where the poor heroine would be overwhelmed to be invited to a ball at mansions rather places like these. For me the other big attraction here was those beautiful yachts docked at Goat’s island. The picture was taken opposite one such exquisite yacht.
2. Malpe-KA-India
Six kilometers from Udupi on the Karnataka coast, this is a beautiful beach with a resort just 100 metres away. This was the most refreshing of my holidays ever. Lazy days spent on the beach (without a sunblock resulting in the monkey face sunburn), great food and even better company of close friends.
3. Mumbai- MH- India
A ferry ride on windy night from the Gateway of India. After a hard day’s work I felt relaxed and stress free after this spin. Much better than ‘chilling out’ at a crowded night club. The fact that I couldn’t see the dirty water helped too!
4. Someshwar-KA-India
An hour from Mangalore, this virgin beach joins to Ullal beach further north. My brother and I were the only ones on this beach and after the initial interest taken by the fishing village (we were mistaken for foreigners and they were thrilled that we could speak their language) we had the place to ourselves.
5. Ooty-TN-India
King’s Cliff- the very name evokes images of British times and, believe me the resort has maintained that essence. With fireplaces in every room, continental breakfast on the lawns in the morning, it was too short a visit!
6. Halebid-KA-India
Remnants of the Hoysala Empire built in the 11th and 12th century, the carvings are intricate to say the least. No matter how many hours you spend looking at the temples, you end up wanting to stay some more.
7. Mumbai-MH-India
After Bangalore, the only other city in India that I want to visit as often as I can. A city that never sleeps, bubbling with energy, always on the go. There aren’t enough adjectives that can describe the spirit of the megapolis.
8. Kuala Lumpur –Malaysia (Center image with the red badge)
Atop the bridge on the 40th floor connecting the famous Petronas Towers (where the Sean Connery- Catherine Zeta Jones flick- Entrapment was shot). This was seriously f…ed up trip. The only saving grace was meeting a colleague-Roha who is now more of a friend.

Missing from this collage are trips to Sydney, Singapore, Dubai, New Delhi, Chennai, Mysore and the rest of the Karnataka Coast. I guess I am going to leave pics and anecdotes from the missing trips for my next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home